Who is Rishi Sunak?
Rishi Sunak is a British politician who became the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom and the Leader of the Conservative Party in October 2022. He is the first British Asian prime minister and has been praised for his economic policies and leadership skills.
Rishi Sunak was born on May 12, 1980, in Southampton, England, to parents of Indian descent who immigrated to Britain from East Africa in the 1960s. He was educated at Winchester College, Lincoln College, Oxford, and Stanford University. He worked as an investment banker and a hedge fund manager before entering politics in 2015 as the MP for Richmond (Yorks). He rose quickly through the ranks of the Conservative Party, serving as Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Local Government, Chief Secretary to the Treasury, and Chancellor of the Exchequer under Boris Johnson. He became the Prime Minister after Liz Truss resigned following a scandal involving her misuse of public funds.
Rishi Sunak Bio
|Prime Minister of the United Kingdom and Leader of the Conservative Party
|Dishy Rishi, The Maharaja of the Dales, The Saviour of the Nation
|Rishi Sunak MP, The Right Honourable Rishi Sunak
Rishi Sunak Personal Bio
|Date of birth
|12 May 1980
|43 years old
|Politician and financier
|Running, cricket, reading, and cooking
|Waking up early, meditating, working out, and drinking green tea
Favorite holiday spot:
“Don’t Stop Believing'” by Journey
Rock and pop
Rishi Sunak Family
|Usha Sunak (pharmacist)
|Akshata Murty (daughter of Indian billionaire N. R. Narayana Murthy)
|Raakhi Sunak, a radiologist
|Krishna (daughter) and Anoushka (daughter)
Rishi Sunak Education
|Winchester College (boarding school),
Lincoln College, Oxford (BA in philosophy, politics and economics), and
Stanford University (MBA as a Fulbright Scholar)
- He is married to Akshata Murty, the daughter of N.R. Narayana Murthy, the co-founder of Infosys, one of India’s largest IT companies. They have two daughters and live in a manor house in North Yorkshire.
- He is a Hindu and a vegetarian. He often visits temples and participates in religious festivals. He also practices yoga and meditation.
- He is a fan of Star Wars and has a collection of lightsabers. He once dressed up as Darth Vader for Halloween.
- He is an avid cricket lover and supports Southampton FC, his hometown football club.
- He is fluent in Hindi and Punjabi, as well as English.
Rishi Sunak : The Political Background
Rishi Sunak is a British politician and the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom since October 2022. He is the first British Asian prime minister and the leader of the Conservative Party. He was previously the Chancellor of the Exchequer from 2020 to 2022, overseeing the government’s economic response to the COVID-19 pandemic. He has been the Member of Parliament for Richmond (Yorks) since 2015.
Sunak was born in Southampton to parents of Indian descent who immigrated to Britain from East Africa in the 1960s. He was educated at Winchester College, studied philosophy, politics and economics at Lincoln College, Oxford, and earned an MBA from Stanford University in California as a Fulbright Scholar. He worked as an investment banker at Goldman Sachs and later co-founded a hedge fund called The Children’s Investment Fund Management.
Sunak entered politics in 2015, succeeding William Hague as the MP for Richmond (Yorks). He quickly rose through the ranks of the Conservative Party, serving as Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Local Government, Chief Secretary to the Treasury and Chancellor of the Exchequer under Boris Johnson. As Chancellor, he introduced several measures to support businesses and workers during the COVID-19 crisis, such as the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, the Eat Out to Help Out scheme and various loans and grants. He also delivered three budgets and two spending reviews, focusing on boosting growth, investment and public services.
Sunak became the leader of the Conservative Party and Prime Minister in October 2022, after Liz Truss resigned following a scandal involving her misuse of public funds. He won a leadership election against Dominic Raab and Oliver Dowden with 62% of the vote. As Prime Minister, he has faced several challenges, such as the cost-of-living crisis, the Russian invasion of Ukraine and the coronation of Charles III. He has also pledged to deliver on his manifesto promises of levelling up the country, strengthening the union and tackling climate change.
Sunak is married to Akshata Murty, the daughter of Indian billionaire N. R. Narayana Murthy. They have two daughters and live in London, North Yorkshire, and Buckinghamshire. Sunak is a practicing Hindu and a vegetarian. He enjoys running, cricket, cooking, and reading in his spare time. He is known for his calm demeanor, sharp intellect, and charismatic personality.
Rishi Sunak is the current Prime Minister of the United Kingdom and the leader of the Conservative Party. He was appointed to these positions in October 2022, after winning a leadership contest following the resignation of Liz Truss. Before becoming Prime Minister, he served as Chancellor of the Exchequer from 2020 to 2022, overseeing the government’s economic response to the COVID-19 pandemic. He has been the Member of Parliament for Richmond (Yorks) since 2015.
Rishi Sunak Career
Sunak was born in Southampton in 1980 to parents of Indian origin who had migrated from East Africa in the 1960s. He attended Winchester College, a prestigious boarding school, and then studied philosophy, politics and economics at Oxford University. He also earned an MBA from Stanford University in the US as a Fulbright Scholar. He worked as an investment banker and a hedge fund manager before entering politics.
RUMOURS about Rishi Sunak
Sunak has been the subject of several rumor’s and speculations during his political career. Some of them include:
- He was considered a potential successor to Boris Johnson as Prime Minister even before he became Chancellor, due to his popularity and competence.
- He was accused of breaking COVID-19 rules by attending a party at Downing Street in December 2020, along with other senior government officials. He denied any wrongdoing and said he was unaware of any party taking place.
- He was reported to have clashed with Johnson over the handling of the pandemic and the Brexit negotiations, leading to speculation that he might resign or challenge Johnson for the leadership.
- He was rumored to have ambitions to become the next King of England, after he attended the coronation of Charles III and Camilla in 2023. He dismissed this as a joke and said he was loyal to the monarchy.
- His middle name is Harshad, which means “joyful” in Sanskrit.
- His nickname is “Dishy Rishi”, which was coined by a newspaper columnist who praised his handsome appearance and generous policies.
- His favorite food is pizza, which he often orders from a local pizzeria. He also likes Indian cuisine, especially Dosas and samosas.
- His favorite book is The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien, which he read as a child and inspired him to pursue adventure and leadership.
- His favorite movie is The Godfather, which he admires for its portrayal of family loyalty and power dynamics.
Awards win by Rishi Sunak
- He was named one of the 100 most influential people in the world by Time magazine in 2021, for his role in steering the UK economy through the pandemic crisis.
- He was awarded the Padma Shri, one of India’s highest civilian honors, by President Ram Nath Kovind in 2022, for his contribution to strengthening bilateral relations between India and the UK.
- He was honored with the Knight Grand Cross of the Order of St Michael and St George (GCMG) by Queen Elizabeth II in 2023, for his services to the Crown and the Commonwealth.
- He delivered three budgets as Chancellor, which introduced various measures to support businesses, workers and public services during the pandemic, such as the furlough scheme, the Eat Out to Help Out scheme, and the vaccine rollout Programme.
- He negotiated a trade deal with the European Union after Brexit, which ensured tariff-free and quota-free access for UK goods and services to the EU market, while preserving UK sovereignty over its laws and borders.
- He led the UK delegation at the COP26 summit in Glasgow in 2021, where he secured commitments from major economies to reduce their carbon emissions and increase their climate finance contributions.
- He launched the Levelling Up agenda as Prime Minister, which aimed to boost economic growth and social mobility across all regions of the UK, especially in northern England and Scotland.
- He established the Windsor Framework as Prime Minister, which was a new partnership between the UK and the US, based on shared values and interests, such as democracy, security and trade.
Rishi Sunak Relationships
- He has a close friendship with Dominic Raab, the Foreign Secretary and the Deputy Prime Minister, who was his rival in the 2022 leadership contest. They often work together on foreign policy and national security issues.
- He has a cordial relationship with Keir Starmer, the Leader of the Opposition and the Labour Party, who was his counterpart as Shadow Chancellor. They often debate each other in Parliament and in the media, but also respect each other’s views and positions.
- He has a warm relationship with Volodymyr Zelenskyy, the President of Ukraine, who visited the UK in 2023 and received British aid and support in the face of Russian aggression. They also share a common interest in comedy and satire.
- He has a tense relationship with Emmanuel Macron, the President of France, who has been critical of the UK’s Brexit decision and its handling of the pandemic. They have clashed over issues such as fishing rights, vaccine exports, and border controls.
- He has a friendly relationship with Kamala Harris, the President of the US, who succeeded Joe Biden in 2023. They have worked closely on strengthening the transatlantic alliance and addressing global challenges such as climate change, terrorism, and cyberattacks.
- Neeraj Chopra is an Indian athlete who specializes in javelin throwing. He is the first Indian to win a gold medal in athletics at the Olympics, which he achieved at the 2020 Tokyo Games. He is also the only Indian to hold the world junior record in the javelin throw. He is widely regarded as one of the best javelin throwers in the world and a national hero in India.